Thursday, February 7, 2013

Don't be Wreckless with Your Email Account

Imagine this, it's early March, on a blustery Boston evening. I'm sitting in a hotel room. Hustling...

That might be confusing. What I mean is that I was sending out emails to 450 conference attendees that our company would be hosting a happy hour at a bar after the conference. I was inviting all of them to grab a free beer with the picture of Jonah Hill as Paul DePodesta in "Moneyball," celebrating my free beer.



We got a great turn-out. Probably about 200 people showed up, and we made a bunch of new friends that night.

The resulting problem is this. Anytime I send an email to anyone employing any kind of spam filter, I risk not getting through because Gmail has now identified my email as being that of a spammer. It doesn't matter that I received replies from practically all the people I sent emails to, thanking me for the kind invitation, and there's not a ton I can do about it other than beg some people at some customer support facility to fix the problem - they're not going to do it because they can't/don't know how/don't care/etc.

Point being, be careful. Not everyone supports the hustle, no matter how genuine it is, and how much enjoyment it might bring to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment